The Family

BEGINNINGS

In 1937 Charles Balouzet de Tigny bought the Domain to become a storage of radios from the company "National" in Paris.

In 1942, he was deported to Buchenwald as a resistance fighter and died in 1945. At that time, the Domain produced very few wines.

The War years

From 1940 until 1945, it was the second world war, wine was sold locally. In 1947, Charles’s wife, Colleen, an American citizen who had spent the war at the estate, created the company «Domaine Vinicole de Chaintres» and took over the management. She replants the Cabernet Franc grape for a production of rosé for the Champagne method of the large houses of Saumur, Bouvet-Ladubay and Ackermann, intended for export to the US.

In 1964, his son, Gael B. de Tigny, coming back from the US for his studies with his wife Carol Johnson, take in charge the Domain. He develops the Saumur Champigny AOC wines selling, appellation created in 1958, for

Recently

From the 90s, the Domain, precursor in the matter in the region, adopts the reasoned farming.

From 2010, Élisabeth B. de Tigny Mourot takes back the hand of the Domain. Chief Executor, she expands the sells to US, Germany, UK, Canada, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, with a range of more diversified wines coming from the AOC appellations Saumur Champigny, Saumur Rosé, Saumur Blanc and Crémant de Loire. She converts the Domain under organic farming and nowadays under biodynamic farming.

In 2019, Elisabet B. de Tigny creates the "Exmuros" brand, grappes coming from outside of the clos, to expand her range of wines.

blason icon